วันจันทร์ที่ 8 มีนาคม พ.ศ. 2553

Emergency centres have been set up to provide immediate care for people injured during the red-shirt mass rally, which kicks off on Friday, Public Hea

Some 1,000 medical workers and 25 state and private hospitals in Bangkok and nearby provinces have also been put on alert should chaos break out this weekend.
The deputy permanent secretary for Health has been ordered to keep a close eye on developments, while ministry inspectors will oversee the situation in local areas, Jurin said.
The Emergency Medical Service Centre's secretary-general, Dr Chatree Charoenchivakul, said his agency had spoken with red-shirt leaders, including Dr Weng Tojirakarn, Pongsak Phusitthikul and former Nakhon Ratchaisma MP Suporn Atthawong about the provision of medical care during the rally.
Chatree said the EMS Centre had drawn up three master plans to deal with violence. The first was to get relevant medical agencies ready to deal with at least 10,000 people; the second would be to cover 10,000 to 50,000 people; and the third would be to deal with incidents in which more than 50,000 people are injured.
He also asked top private institutions such as Mission, Hua Chiew, Phayathai, Samitivej, Bangkok and Ramkhamhaeng hospitals to be ready for emergency cases.
State hospitals around the capital such as Phra Nang Klao, Pathum Thani, Phra Nakhon Si Ayutthaya, Samut Sakhon, Samut Prakan, Chon Buri and Nakhon Pathom hospitals had also been warned to be on standby around-the-clock.
Chatree said he would recruit more than 1,000 additional medical workers to deal with the situation, adding that he feared bomb explosions and gas attacks. He said EMS Centre staff would meet today to discuss precautionary measures.
BOX On alert
Hospitals in areas near red-shirt rally sites have been put on alert:
- Chulalongkorn, Mongkut-wattana and private hospitals in the Tung Song Hong police station area;
- Bhumibol, Nopparat Rajathanee and private hospitals in Lak Si near Pitak Ratthathammanoon monument;
- Rajvithi, Ramathibodi, Phra Mongkutklao, Klang and Vatchara hospitals near the Thai-Japanese Stadium;
- Chulalongkorn and private hospitals near Lumpini Park;
- Taksin, Somdej Pin Klao and Siriraj hospitals in the Wong Wian Yai area;
- Chest Disease Hospital along with Phra Nangklao and Bamrasnaradura hospitals in Nonthaburi;
- Thammasat Hospital, HRH Princess Maha Chakri Sirindhorn Medical Centre and state hospital in Pathum Thani; Ongkarak Medical Centre in Nakhon Nayok;
-State and private hospitals in Samut Prakan.

Govt to impose ISA as PM cancels trip to Australia

Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva yesterday was granted an audience with His Majesty the King at Siriraj Hospital to report about the current situation.
There was no official word on the meeting, particularly what was discussed, but it was understood that the simmering political situation was included in Abhisit's routine briefing to the King.His Majesty has stayed in hospital since he was admitted in September last year with a lung infection and fever. He left for the Chitralada Palace on the night of February 27 and returned to hospital a few hours later.The audience took place just hours after the government announced Abhisit had postponed his trip to Australia. The government also decided to impose the Internal Security Act in a bid to contain the red shirts' mass rally in the capital this weekend.The decision came after the Security-related Situation Monitoring Committee resolved earlier yesterday to propose to the Cabinet that the Act be imposed from this Thursday until March 23 in Bangkok and certain areas of Pathum Thani, Ayutthaya and Samut Prakan provinces.When asked about the trip, Abhisit responded: "It has been cancelled." The prime minister was scheduled to make an official visit to Australia from Saturday till next Wednesday. The prime minister told a meeting of ministry permanent secretaries yesterday that intelligence showed small groups of people would try to cause violence and chaos in a bid to effect political change, according to a Govern-ment House source.At the meeting organised at the Thailand Cultural Centre, Abhisit instructed the top bureaucrats to step up security measures in their agencies.The prime minister said the street protests would start this Friday, not on Sunday as had been announced by the red shirt leaders, according to the source. "People called and told me a lot of military fatigues were bought at the Chatuchak Market and bullets at gun shops in the Phahurat area were sold out. Water pipes were also bought to make guns," Abhisit was quoted as saying."Intelligence shows that there are no exact plans for this upcoming rally. And there's no unity. There's even an idea to harm some fellow red-shirt leaders to create an incident. The government insists on enforcing the law and avoiding use of force," the prime minister told the top bureaucrats. He said that the government would enforce three laws to keep order during the protest period: a law for the prevention and relief of public disasters, the Internal Security Act, and the emergency decree. "I hope we don't need to impose martial law," he added.Deputy Prime Minister Suthep Thaugsuban, who chaired the security monitoring panel's meeting at Army headquarters yesterday, told reporters up to 100,000 people were expected in Bangkok from Friday, with about 10,000 pickups and farm trucks being used to carry them.He said the panel agreed that a worrying factor was the red shirts consisted of many groups with poor communication between each. "We are not sure if they can control their people. That is worrying for officials who have to deal with them. Our intelligence shows that many of the groups show a tendency to use violence," said Suthep, who is in charge of security affairs.He said one of four grenade attacks on February 27 was supposedly linked to the reds.He said some of the red shirts planned to besiege government offices and residences of important figures, like Privy Council President Prem Tinsulanonda.And while organisers had said protesters would gather at Sanam Luang and Rajdamnoen Avenue, many groups were likely to "operate" in other parts of Bangkok, which would threaten normal life and the welfare of city residents. "So we decided that the ISA be invoked to protect people in Bangkok from unexpected incidents," he said.

Statesman General Prem Tinsulanonda Foundation is under his name but the chief royal adviser has no management position nor linkage to its land sale i

"The attempt to smear Prem is unjustified," Pongthep said, reacting to an allegation raised by red-shirt leader Natthawut Saikua.
Natthawut cast doubt on the land sale, saying Prem might have personally benefitted from the deal.
Speaking in Prem's defence, Pongthep outlined the land transaction as carried out by the foundation without Prem's involvement.
In 2003, a company, MMC Sitipol, donated several plots covering 1,550 rai to foundation.
Of the donated land, three plots covering 247 rai located separately from the main parcel of land, making it difficult to manage the property.
After checking with the donor and relevant authorities, the foundation decided to put the three plots for sale. General Nop Pinsaikaew, the then vice president of the foundation, and his son Apichet bought the plots at market price estimated at Bt12,000 per rai.
The deal was audited and approved by the authorities. The sale revenues were deposited into the foundation's account.
As for the plot under the foundation's management, it has been developed as a demonstration centre for rubber plantation and farming under the New Economic Theory. Earnings from the land are reported as the foundation's revenues.
The Nation

Transparency, lack of bias keys to the future

Logical thinking, unbiased media, civil accountability and transparency in the justice system will help the country overcome the struggle through the aftermath of the historic ruling on the assets-seizure against ex-premier Thaksin Shinawatra.

The ruling by the Supreme Court's Criminal Division for Political Office Holders has become hot talk on every corner and street. The fact that the court ruling seems to be freely and widely debated by the public and the media is a boost for the country's democratic development, thanks to the court allowing this form of check and balance to take place.
One major argument the public has widely discussed is that the ruling must be rejected because from the outset it was not correct for judges to recognise the September coup 2006 orders that brought down the Thaksin government.
The argument may sound naive, but both laymen and academics and politicians support it. However the winners of this debate should be those who back up their belief with sound reason. Those who support the judges' decision on this issue say that in the history of over 20 coups since 1932, Thailand has never ruled against a coup's orders. If one coup order was to be overturned, all other laws would be scrapped with a domino effect, then the country's administration could never materialise and the Thaksin government - as an example- would never have come into existence.
People who have political convictions on both sides cannot reject this reasoning if they are to be fair, though this alone may not cause them to switch camps.
The backlash of this coup argument got Finance Minister Korn Chatikavanij in hot water when some media and Korn's political opponents played up his comment, claiming the minister had justified the September 2006 coup which he strongly defended against the allegations.
Rejecting the coup but accepting the trials against Thaksin will always be like "hate the chicken but eat the eggs" - a dilemma we struggle with. Had there not been a coup that toppled the Thaksin government, what would the country would have turned into?
An academic lamented that the decision to take a short cut to bring down Thaksin had already demonstrated its negative consequences - a threat of a civil war by the red shirts who always cite the legitimacy of their anti-coup movement. Thaksin's supporters have also dismissed the court's ruling on the assets seizure case on the grounds of the coup. They have also threatened to seek impeachment against the nine judges, though this is unlikely to materialise because of insufficient grounds.
Experts dismissed charges the nine judges ruled in violation of the Constitution Court that was legally binding in all courts over the executive decree on the imposition of excise tax on the telecommunication sector. They reasoned the nine judges touched on the content of executive decree that benefited Thaksin and not that the legislation process was illegal.
Thaksin lawyers seemed to hesitate after court officials warned against lodging a complaint that might be regarded as contempt of court. "Constitutional rights come with accountability and responsibility".
The issue on how much of Thaksin's assets should be seized had been widely scrutinised before and after the court ruling. A top judge even expressed surprise, thinking Thaksin should have been satisfied that not all his assets were seized as many had expected or predicted.
The fact the judges ruled to confiscate only a part and not all of the assets has been cited as a counter to claims by the red shirts that the judges were influenced by extra-constitutional power and their verdict had been prearranged or was one of double-standards.
Office of the Judiciary spokesman Sitthisak Wanachakij's soundly reasoned defence against the allegations and criticisms of the verdict - and making public the verdict in detail (showing each judge's written opinion) should be hailed. Transparency and integrity of the court of justice could be the only thing to help save the country from more serious problems.

King gets briefing on rally plans by reds

His Majesty the King will be giving a briefing by the prime minister on Monday on current affairs amid concern of a possible outbreak of violence at the upcoming red shirts' mass rally.

Abhisit Vejjajiva cancelled an afternoon appointment in order to attend the royal audience at Siriraj Hospital.
The authorities would seek to get updates on the situation in a bid to get an accurate picture of how the red shirts prepare for a mass rally next Sunday, government spokesman Panitan Wattanayagorn said.
"The upcoming rally might last longer than past protests and its initial three to four days might take place without any problems because organisers have prepared well," he said, voicing concern that trouble might after stocks of supplies dry up and fatigue sets in.
The authorities would constantly adjust their plans in order to keep the peace in light of changes at the rally site, he said.
"Of utmost concern is if tempers flare up, paving way for mayhem triggerd by unidentified instigators," he said.
Volunteers and Bangkok residents living at or near the rally site had been encouraged to report any suspicious activities, he said.
Tomorrow, communities near Government House will undertake contingency moves to safeguard and restore peace should the crowds turn unruly.
At this point, there are no plans to declare a public holiday or to invoke the internal security law.
The prime minister's visit to Australia next week will proceed as scheduled but the trip may be cut short to enable him to attend the weekly Cabinet meeting on Tuesday week.
In regard to threats of sabotage, the government spokesman said authorities had detected attempts to convince protesters to arm themselves and prepare for arson attacks on government installations but the majority of the red shirts had no links to such moves.
Suan Dusit Poll said nearly half of all Bangkok residents did not want the rally to take place and one in three said they feared violence would erupt as past mass rallies had ended with bloodshed.
In a separate survey, Abac Poll indicated six in 10 people were stressed about the political situation.
In his weekly speech, Abhisit said the authorities would screen protesters in order to ensure they were unarmed.
The red shirts would also have to follow police instructions to avoid disrupting traffic and inconveniencing city residents.
"The government will decide whether to invoke special laws or additional measures after reviewing the security assessment report tomorrow."
He urged media outlets to check facts before reporting details about the reds' rally. The government was obligated to safeguard peace but had no plan to crack down on people protesting as alleged, he said.
"Regardless of the political differences, any attempts to burn down Government House will not be allowed nor condoned," he said.
He reminded his ousted predecessor Thaksin Shinawatra he would be held accountable for remarks if he encouraged violence when he phones in during the rally.
Red-shirt leader Natthawut Saikua said protesters would drive E-taen farm tractors to the rally site in defiance of a ban on such vehicles entering the capital.
On arriving in Bangkok, the tractors would parked in an orderly manner so as not to disrupt traffic, Natthawut said.
Thaksin's legal adviser Noppadon Patama said the ex-premier wanted changes through peaceful means and did not condone violence as alleged by the government.
Noppadon urged the red shirts to participate in the mass rally without fear of violence.
Red-shirt supporter Nawin Boonseth said he would mobilise 150,000 red shirts from the North, with plans to bring 15,000 pick-ups to the capital.

Seh Daeng & co remain in police custody

He used to be an exclusive headache for the Army. But after his "arrest" on Saturday along with seven cohorts, Maj-General Khattiya Sawasdipol has become a hot potato for the government, police and the court.

A controversial bunch arrested under controversial circumstances at a controversial moment, the group has been eyed with extreme mistrust ahead of the upcoming red-shirt rally, not least because one of its member had gone on YouTube making thinly-veiled threats of terrorism.
Having them in police custody may ease anxiety, but the question is, how long can the authorities keep them locked up? Khattiya will launch another bid to bail his group out today, and all eyes will be on what decisions the police and the court make.
Maj-General Khattiya, better known as "Seh Daeng", and his seven aides, including suspected instigator of violence Pornwat "K Thong" Thongthanaboon, remained in custody for a second day pending completion of their statements.
Khattiya yesterday sought but failed to receive a temporary release on grounds of failing to post the required bond.
His lawyer is expected to reapply for bail at a court hearing on remand today.
He also tried but failed to contact Central Investigation Bureau commissioner Lt-General Thangai Prasajaksattru to intervene in the bail review on his behalf.
Khattiya's bondsman tried to post a land title deed estimated to be worth Bt900,000 as bond for the eight suspects as their detention occurred over the weekend.
But police set the bail demand at a title deed worth more than Bt200,000 - or Bt100,000 in cash - per suspect.
Aside from Khattiya and Pornwat, other suspects detained are Suwapat Chantima, Mongkol Saraphan, Chakcharas Kongsuwan, Rerngrit Tumthongkham, Charan Loypoon and Suwit Sirirak.
About three companies of anti-riot officers were deployed to keep the peace at the Crime Suppression Division, where the suspects were being detained.
Police detained the eight on suspicion of two key violations - attempts to instigate violence aimed at unrest and a climate of fear, and uploading false information into the computer system.
Pornwat is the prime suspect who faced with a warrant of arrest after he uploaded a video on YouTube that threatened violence and mayhem.
The group's arrest took place under ambiguous circumstances, reflecting the controversial characteristics of Khattiya, who had managed to be a free man until Saturday despite making clear and indirect threats against Army chief Anupong Paochinda and others.
On Saturday Khattiya paid a visit to the CSD office to inquire about the progress of a police report on his charges relating to the discovery of assault weapons at his home.
Before he left, police asked his permission to take a look inside his van. He agreed and took police to the vehicle - where they found Pornwat - and the group was detained as a result. After the arrest, Khattiya claimed he took Pornwat, a wanted man after the YouTube stunt, to the CSD to give himself up.
But Khattiya's face that turned grim immediately after the arrest gave himself away. While Khattiya's motives of visiting the CSD were unclear, his shocked expression after Pornwat was taken seemed to belie his claims that Pornwat was on the verge of surrendering himself.